Wednesday, October 8, 2008

An Old Friend

I got a phone call today from a childhood friend. Well, we met in the 2nd grade but go way beyond that - we shared a lot of our adult lives together too. Then of course, as things go - got busy, a "child"to raise, lifestyles, and even though we don't live that far apart we just didn't get to see each other. It was good to hear her voice and catch up a little. I thought I heard some sadness in her voice and it finally did come out. I won't go into the story but this is a smart, beautiful, lady who has been mentally beat down by a controlling man. I knew it but thought OK everything must be better now. Well, it's not and she reached out today to "Get her life Back" and I'm proud of her. It's so hard to admit something like that and even though it might have been a tiny step for her it's a big step in her life. I wish things could have been different for her but I do know the man and can't say I'm surprised. At one point, she said to me, You would never have let a man treat you that way, would you? I said no but at the same time no one is perfect. I had to go through some men to find my soul mate Kenny. And believe me, he's not perfect but I did realize something as I was hearing her story. No matter if we don't agree, argue, fight, pout, or get disappointed we always know that there is love backing it up. That is the difference. To find that kind of love comes along very rarely. We all have done things or said things in anger but to be cruel and hurt someone just for the sake of hurting has no love in it. I'm angry for her, hurt for her and yet I have hope and I know that there is a strong woman left inside her. I pray for her to have strength and I hope I can provide comfort and be a friend to her. We all need that sometimes.

2 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

Be a friend to her. She needs your strength. She remembers your strength. I wrote about divorce once. Here is the blog page.

http://perandpon.blogspot.com/2008/03/victims-of-divorce.html

Maybe it will help her.

Christy said...

I'm sure you can be that for her. You have a lot of strength to give, and such a giving heart.
I'm so sorry - I know how hard it is to watch a dear friend struggle in an unfair marriage.