Saturday, July 19, 2008

Your Grandmothers Bread and Butter Pickles

I know most won't believe this but they really do taste like your grandmother's pickles! And you make them in the microwave! I always begged my mother to make pickles every year and she would soak those cukes for about 17 days (a lot of mess) and make me jars and jars of pickles which I promptly ate. When I grew up I thought I'd never have those wonderful pickles again because Claiborne don't do complicated things with food - well, mother to the rescue again - Microwave Pickles!!! The trick is the right cucumber - mine are out of my garden which is the best but you can buy those small pickling cukes at the grocery. Or steal them out of some one else's garden tee hee - Also, the recipe calls for 1 med cuke - I use 3 or 4 small ones - you can judge by having the cukes fill up the container a little more than the liquid - just experiment. Here's the recipe and enjoy the crunchiness!!!!! Christy - you HAVE to make these....Oh, also you can use Splenda but not as good...You need to keep these in the frig unless you want to "hot boil" them for storage - mine never last tMicrowave Pickles

1 med cucumber thinly sliced
2 small onions thinly sliced
¾ cup sugar
½ cup vinegar
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. celery seed
½ tsp. mustard seed

Microwave safe bowl – combine all ingredients. Microwave uncovered on high for 4 minutes. Stir…..Cook 3-4 minutes longer or mixture is bubbly or cukes crisp and tender. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. hat long because I eat them all up!

3 comments:

Christy said...

I need to check, but I think I asked your mother for this recipe when I was at her house, lo these many years ago, and she gave it to me....I might be wrong there.....or did it come from you on an index card??? At any rate, it's one of those things I always mean to make and haven't yet. I need to look into it :)

60ish and Glad said...

You are so full of energy! Making pickles - the way to Jon's and Joe's heart.

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

Do you guys watch movies in theater or on internet? I use to rent DVD movies from [b]Bigflix.com[/b]. Recently I discovered that we can watch all new movies on internet on day, they are released. So why should I spend money on renting movies??? So, can you guys please tell me where I can [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]watch latest movie Death at a Funeral (Screen Gems) 2010[/url] for free?? I have searched [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Youtube.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Dailymotion.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Megavideo.com[/url] but, Could not find a good working link. If you know any working link please share it with me.


Thanks