Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A semi-traumatic day at the Vet

Yesterday Tatiana was limping on her front left leg. Then when I said let's go feed the birds she hippy hopped up and down. Soooooo this morning when she was limping again I thought OK - let's go see Dr. Erin. I thought by going later - 2:30 - maybe there would not be so many people. Our wonderful wonderful vet office does not take appointments - they don't even accept new patients - that's how good they are - well, no such luck - a 2 - 2 1/2 hour wait. Now, it's hot as hell and muggy but we went to sit in the van - I have a book on CD so I thought OK just enjoy some quiet time with Tatitana and listen to the CD. Every once in while I would start the van and turn on the air to cool us off. We went in after about an hour and a half - just too hot and waited some more. Then we got called to the office and waited some more. When Dr. Erin came in she messed around with her foot and leg. The third toe seemed sore. We x-rayed the foot. Have you ever seen an x-ray of a tiny dog foot. It's just too cute! And the good news it was not broken. I also had her x-ray her trachea - it's a little small in certain places so it may be collapsing a little. Choe had this so bad so I knew what to look for. The only thing to do for that is maybe loose a pound! This for a Yorkie who does NOT like to go outside or get her feet wet. She's a princess you see! Now, Matilda on the other hand LOVES outside and runs and plays by her little self. Then we talked about her "scaredy cat" thing. It's getting worse, the rain, the thunder, the van, fireworks, truck, just loud noises in general. We have the pills for driving but she now tries to hide a lot and it's very upsetting. So I think she needs a "therapist"!! Dr Erin said there are drugs like my zoloft but she has to take them every day. Great - so now me and my dog are crazy as loons!! But I hope they will make her feel not so afraid. The look in her little eyes breaks my heart - she looks so scared. So, we are going to try her little "Doggie Zoloft" for a couple of months to see if it works. And we have her "trip" pills which work great but you would not want to give her one everyday. On the other hand I would love to try one just by the look on her face!!! Ha HA -THEN - we were one of the last ones to leave and of course, it was thundering and lots of lightning. We get in the van and nothing - no battery. Guess I listened to my book on CD a little too long! I went back inside and thank goodness one of the techs said no problem and jumped off my battery. He said take the long way home to charge it up a bit so we rode thru a couple of neighborhoods before we headed home at 7 pm. Boy was Matilda glad to see us! And Tatiana was glad to be home. She rested in her "baby buggy" most of the night. We are not having a storm now so I'm going to try and get her to go outside and pee. She was really good and used the pee pad but I know she needs to go again. So guess what - no painting today but took care of my precious Tatiana and tomorrow is her 4th birthday and we are so blessed to have her in our life. We love you Tatiana and will always take care of you......

2 comments:

Christy said...

Peas in a pod, you two!

60ish and Glad said...

Well, I think Christy ought to share HER story about doggiy zolof or however you spell it. She sleepily shuffled in the kitchen and grabbed her pill to take, took it, and on the way suddenly realized - it was Maimi's pill! Hmmmm.