Wednesday, July 22, 2009

For little Miss Maggie's 5 Birthday


I think I mentioned that I got a package with some very colorful yarn from Maggie in Florida. She looks at my Blog with her Mom and thought I needed some yarn. Of course, I wanted to make her something right away. Now, living in Florida (and me being a beginner knitter) I knew she would not need a hat or scarf or mittens in July - I thought about a picnic blanket then read that the yarn was felting yarn. Which means it will "felt" or shrink really tight when you wash it. So that was out. Then I came up with a bag - of course, I've never made one and the patterns I was finding had all the gibberish about yo and decrease and increase which I don't know how to do yet. And those pesky circular needles - not yet. So as usual, I made it up. I had to guess the size since I've never "felted" anything and believe me when I put it in the washing machine I was scared of what it would look like - BUT it turned out great and about the size I thought it would. I made the straps and sewed them on - I now have a video on how to make a I-Cord - but these are fine and I sewed buttons on each strap. Maggie LOVES stickers and glue and paper so I filled her bag with just that plus a notebook and markers and glue. It's going in the mail tomorrow for her 5th birthday next week. You know EVERY girl has to have lots of bags - this from the orginal "bag lady" - I can't get enough so YES I've started another one. I'm using wool and it's thinner that this other yarn and I'm trying to make it bigger so we will see. One of these days I'm going to learn how to read patterns!!!

1 comment:

60ish and Glad said...

Oh! How cute for little Miss Maggie! YEah! I wonder how Chuck E. Cheese went?