Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Daddy's 96th Birthday

Like Father, Like Daughter!
Mother, Daddy and Me

Mother and Daddy



My cousin, Karen and Daddy


Laughing and Happy
Got to fix that hair just right
This is so sweet


The Cracker Barrel Breakfast!


96 years of looking back

Richard Claiborne Hemphill, Born in Fries, Virginia January 14th, 1913.....Yep he's 96 years old! What a wonderful and special time with him and Mother today. I went up yesterday and spent the night. Kenny was supposed to go but he is really sick (and worse today) and I'm back home tonight trying to be a good "nurse". Mother and Daddy, my cousin Karen and I went to Olive Garden for dinner last night and he had a great dinner (and a couple glasses of wine!) We all went back home and visited. Mother and Karen and I ate cake - Daddy didn't want any! He didn't stay up until midnight but almost. Mother and Karen and I stayed up then after she went home Mother and I STILL stayed up some more until about 2 am. Well, of course at 9am this morning Mother woke me up and Papa was dressed and ready to go to Cracker Barrel- his favorite breakfast place. He orders the "Sampler" with eggs, bacon, country ham (double order), grits, apples, gravy and biscuits and toast with apple butter. NOW - he eats the whole thing and he is still skinny as a rail. He's done this all of his life and breakfast is his favorite meal. His mind is so sharp and funny too. The manager of Cracker Barrel bought his breakfast and all the waitresses came over and kissed him - he had red lipstick on his cheek! We spent most of the day together and I drove home to take care of Kenny. It's hard to explain how at 58 years old what it means to have both my parents especially since Daddy is 96. I love him so very very much and he is my rock in life. And I do have to say as wonderful as this birthday was we did have some sad news too. My Aunt, Eunice Green, passed yesterday - she turned 95 on Dec 26 of this year. Her son Danny, is my soul mate brother. I got to spend some time with him and Betsy today and for that I'm thankful. Aunt Eunice was a delightful kind woman who I spent many many childhood days in her wonderful home. She was married to my mother's brother, Clark who passed in 1963. She has gone home to be with her beloved Clark. Rest and rejoice Aunt Eune....we all love you......
Happy Happy Birthday Daddy!!!!