Friday, February 20, 2009

Knitting


You know I wanted to learn how to knit so my niece "tried" to show me how Thanksgiving and I did finish the funny little doggie blanket. Well, I wanted to do a "real" project and it's not perfect and I haven't woven in the tails yet but I'm going to wear these tomorrow!! They are wrist warmers and I'm sure I don't have them put together right and one is longer than the other and one if wider than the other but they are my first!!! So there.... I'm trying to start another pair but I'm having all kinds of problems with the cast on...help Christy!! You know, this would be so much easier if you lived closer and I could come to "Knitting Night"! But I'd spend most of the time on your front porch smoking! Now, I'm picturing sewing little buttons on them and making black ones with rhinestones....oh, getting ahead of myself - I'd better learn how to do them right first! If I ever do get this down, I guess there will be lots of "wrist warmer" presents in my future! I only do this when I watch TV so it takes me awhile. I've got too many other things going on - like commission art work! Kenny just looks at me and shakes his head - something else for me to focus on! I'm still going to wear them tomorrow night to Beluga (not on stage) but to the gig because it's going to be in the 20's here.....

3 comments:

Christy said...

Yay! Your first "real" finished object!
If you're having trouble with the cast-on, I'd suggest you look at the "knitting on" method of casting on. I think it's really the easiest one and it doesn't involve wrapping the yarn around your fingers in weird ways. Basically, you do your first slip knot and then act like you're going to knit. But you put your first stitch back onto the original needle. I know that doesn't make sense, but it will if you look at a video.
May I suggest, for your next pair of wrist warmers, that you use a yarn that isn't nubby. You'll be able to better see what's going on and why one might be wider or longer. Plus you'll better be able to see the stitches when it's time to seam them up :) And I know you want black ones, but you might try a lighter yarn first. That'll also make it easier to see your stitches.

Cliff Cole & Debbie Basora said...

I can't even imagine knitting. I just hate any kind of hand work. I love to sew but mainly things that I can finish in one day. I just don't have the patience for long drawn out processes. It's my tweckoedness ( do you like that word)Makes me crazy. I rather be working in the yard. If the economy gets worse we will rely on you for socks HA

Anonymous said...

Great job, great job!! If they
come out too short or too long;
they'll make great "tug toys" for
the girls!!
Love,
Adam & Jeremiah