Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Painting

Photo from around 1950
Sam and Karen
16 x 20 oil on Canvas

I don't think my cousin will read this blog so I'm going to post it. I'm so excited I got to finish this painting last night. My cousin found this photo probably taken around 1950 and said some day I want to get you to paint this. It's my cousin Karen and her father Sam, my Daddy's youngest brother. Like me, Karen was always a "Daddy's Girl" but she did not have her Dad around as long as I have. Sam died in the early 70's. Karen is now 64. This photo was taken in our Great Aunt Rachel's yard in Fries, Va where Daddy and Sam were born. So there are lots of special memories in this painting. I wanted to surprise her at Christmas with this and I feel great that I got to finish it. I wasn't sure I would be able to. She has been so much help with Daddy and Mother and me these last few weeks. Karen is also a 20 year cancer surviver of Bladder cancer. Her son, Stephen is a screen writer in LA and has a movie coming out with Richard Geer - can't wait to see that one and her daughter April lives in Florida. This is the best part of being an artist. To create something that will live on in families lives forever (and hopefully not end up in a flea market!!!). So I don't think anyone knows my cousin but if you do be very very quiet about this painting (Aunt Jane)!!!!- I'm going to give it to her for Christmas!

2 comments:

Christy said...

So very sweet! I can see the love that you poured into this one. It's very tender.

60ish and Glad said...

It is a great photo and you have captured the smile factor that every daddy's girl has when seeing a photo like this. Thanks for the story. I love hearing stories about your family history. I think about you every day when I first wake up - asking the Lord to give you the strength to enjoy your day, love your parents, accomplish your tasks, and live to the fullest.